Our not-for-profit and societies team at SHK works collaboratively with not-for-profit organizations, societies, charities, donors, associations and a variety of other groups.
Our team works closely with our corporate and commercial law group in order to provide comprehensive and practical advice to you.
SHK is well-versed in the law that applies to not-for-profit entities, which law can differ significantly from the rules and regulations that govern profit-driven corporations.
SHK has extensive experience providing you with informed advice concerning:
- Incorporating and organizing the constitution and bylaws for not-for-profits, societies and various other entities
- Handling the corporate governance of various entities, inclusive of enacting bylaws, amending bylaws and related matters
- Planning for the operation of provincially-incorporated societies, federally-incorporated not-for-profits, extraprovincial entities and other organizations
- Considering the legal requirements for charitable status
- The restoration of a society or other entity that has been struck from the applicable registry