- Speaking Engagements
- Professional Association
- Community Involvement
- Firm News
Seema Lal is a principal of SHK Law and is a member of the firm’s construction, insurance and commercial litigation practices.
Her clients in the construction industry benefit from Seema’s focus on the negotiation and preparation of construction contracts, advice on procurement issues, builders liens, disputes and construction litigation, including claims for extras and delay. Seema also assists her clients with insurance law advice and has experience defending professionals in a broad range of professional liability claims as well as in professional regulatory claims. Seema has acted as counsel in many mediations and arbitrations, and has appeared before administrative tribunals and all levels of Court.
Seema regularly lectures and provides seminars, both in-house and at client offices, as well as to a number of construction industry organizations and associations, including the Vancouver Regional Construction Association, the Independent Contractors Association of BC, Buildex, Homeowners Association of Vancouver (HAVAN) and the Pacific Business and Law Institute. She is also an adjunct lecturer at UBC for 4th year engineering students – Legal Aspects in Engineering Practice.
Seema is actively involved in the community and participates on the Boards of a number of industry groups and non-profit organizations. She is the Chair of the Construction Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, the Director of Community of Canadian Construction Women and the Vice-Chair of the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation’s “A Night of Miracles” gala. Seema is also a volunteer lawyer with Access Pro Bono and the MS Society of Canada’s Volunteer Legal Advocacy Program.
Seema frequently shares legal knowledge with clients and the legal community. See below.
Seema regularly lectures and provides seminars, including the Independent Contractors Association of BC, Buildex, Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association, Affinity Institute and Pacific Business & Law Institute. She is also an adjunct lecturer at UBC for 4th year engineering students – Legal Aspects in Engineering Practice. SHK Law Corporation – Breakfast Seminar – February 28, 2019 – Beyond the Basics of Builders Liens ICBA Course – The Nuts & Bolts of Builders Liens – November 23, 2018 Vancouver Fall Home Shaw – Get it in Writing: Renovations and Building Contracts – October 21, 2018 BC Common Ground Alliance – Risk Management for Ground Disturbance – April 25, 2018 Buildex Vancouver – Contract Termination Claims and Remedies – February 15, 2018 Canadian Construction Women – Tendering & Procurement: Basic Principles – May 24, 2016 Pacific Business & Law Institute – Techniques for Resolving Disputes Quickly & Efficiently – March 31, 2016 Buildex Vancouver – Construction Law Update: Emerging Trends & Common Pitfalls – February 25, 2016 Pacific Business & Law Institute – Considerations Unique to Subcontractors – April 29, 2015 The Affinity Institute – The Design – Assist Method of Construction Delivery – November 25, 2014 Credit Institute of Canada – Builders Liens Across Canada – April 18, 2013
- Vice Chair, Construction Section, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Director at Large, Canadian Construction Women
- Member, Vancouver Regional Construction Association
- Member, Homebuilder Association Vancouver
- Member, Urban Land Institute
College of Denturists of BC – Board of Directors, Chair (May 2019) (Vice-Chair 2015-19)
- The College of Denturists of BC is the regulatory body for denturists in British Columbia. The role of the College is to set standards and regulate denturism to ensure quality practice and protection of the public
A Night of Miracles Gala – Vice-Chair (March 2015 to present)
- A Night of Miracles Gala is an annual fundraising gala which raises funds for the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation. The Gala has raised almost $5.5 million since its inception in 2008
MS Society of Canada – Volunteer Legal Advocate Program (VLAP) – (2005 to present) Volunteer Lawyer
- VLAP assists people affected by multiple sclerosis in BC and the Yukon address legal challenges with the help of lay volunteers and lawyers who provide pro-bono legal advice or representation
Access ProBono – (2005 to present) Volunteer Lawyer:
- The mission of Access ProBono is to promote access to justice in BC by providing and fostering quality pro bono legal services for people and non-profit organizations of limited means