SHK advises and represents both employers and employees on all aspects of employment and labour law, as well as the provincial Human Rights Code and the federal Human Rights Act.
Our approach is simple: strong advocacy and practical solutions. When problems emerge, our employment lawyers provide expert counsel on a wide range of labour and employment law issues, including:
- Employment contracts and agreements
- Workplace policies and procedures
- Employment standards compliance and claims defence
- Discrimination and harassment investigations and claims
- Dismissal claims
- Human rights complaints
- Severance advice
- Post-employment competition disputes involving fiduciary duties, restrictive covenants and confidentiality
- Structuring and defending ‘independent contractor’ relationships
We frequently act as counsel in wrongful dismissal cases where an employer terminates employment without cause but refuses to pay adequate compensation, an employer inappropriately alleges cause and fails to pay any compensation, and an employer, by altering fundamental terms and conditions of employment, “constructively” dismisses an employee. Our employment lawyers are well-versed in the requirements of the BC Employment Standards Act, and are experts in navigating an employee’s common law entitlement to reasonable notice.
We also advise and represent employers in all sectors across the province. We frequently act, not only as litigation counsel, but also as mediators and arbitrators, and appear before Human Rights and Employment Tribunals.