Canadian environmental legislation, regulation and regimes are complex, often vague and open to judicial interpretation.
This creates uncertainty for corporations and their officers and directors, which is made all the more daunting by the possibility of absolute liability exposure and steep penalties for violations. SHK’s environmental lawyers can help you navigate this framework.
We frequently assist our clients in obtaining permitting for new projects, addressing contaminated site orders and remediation issues, defending charges and advancing and defending claims against former owners. Our clients include private individuals and insurers as well as companies involved with energy, real estate, transportation, manufacturing and agriculture industries. Our Environmental Law Group has extensive experience in matters relating to:
- Development of strategies to avoid liability
- Insurance and civil matters triggered by environmental claims, often involving multiple parties
- Cost recovery actions
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Property development transactions
- Drafting and interpretation of environmental policies
- Obtaining approvals for projects subject to federal and provincial environmental assessment legislation
- Structuring and management of environmental due diligence exercises